COLLAGE IS POSSIBLE IN BATIK ART





This new batik tittled STARING OUT (2012) is a result of my recent experimentation on various material with cotton. The problem was that most of the materials I tried could not dye. This particular work is a combination of cotton on cotton. In painting with acrylic or oil, collage is quite simple because the paint works as a gluing substance for the added piece. But in the case of batik, needlework seemed to be the only way of attachment leading to threads to form fantastic tones in the batik. I've always been fascinated by collage done on canvas with aclyric and backcloth. There's a way that one can feel the canvas with a simple touch. However, most batiks (ones I have ever seen) are always on a flat material that provided little or no chance of feeling the texture. There's threadwork on cotton and that is all there is. This has always bored me and this experiment was intended to find new ways of escaping this boredom. I intend to paint a few more 'collaged' batiks as well as continue the normal way of working on a flat cotton material.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ELEPHANT BATIK ART