Skip to main content


This new batik tittled STARING OUT (2012) is a result of my recent experimentation on various material with cotton. The problem was that most of the materials I tried could not dye. This particular work is a combination of cotton on cotton. In painting with acrylic or oil, collage is quite simple because the paint works as a gluing substance for the added piece. But in the case of batik, needlework seemed to be the only way of attachment leading to threads to form fantastic tones in the batik. I've always been fascinated by collage done on canvas with aclyric and backcloth. There's a way that one can feel the canvas with a simple touch. However, most batiks (ones I have ever seen) are always on a flat material that provided little or no chance of feeling the texture. There's threadwork on cotton and that is all there is. This has always bored me and this experiment was intended to find new ways of escaping this boredom. I intend to paint a few more 'collaged' batiks as well as continue the normal way of working on a flat cotton material.


Popular posts from this blog


In this new work I'm focusing on wildlife and elephants in particular. I have done several paintings on elephants. This one is a little more interesting as it shows part of the face, particularly, the eye. Emphasis is on a network of skin wrinkles on the face of an old matriarch or the lead cow. I did it with a modern approach making it a 'modern elephant'.


This small batik SHARING KNOWLEDGE(2010) 10"X16" , I brought together 3 characters in a conversation. I took time to unify them with the same dress code (Masai). Using the same color theme, i was successful in shading light and dark tones in the dressing and the result was stunning. This is one of my favorite batiks.


This brand new batik 'AFRICAN WOMAN ' (2013) shows my fullfilled desire to escape the pain of making 'black' faces. I have always longed for figurative batik to take a centre stage in my artwork. This new year I'll have more of these and less of the 'black' empty faces. I want my characters to have a facial expression and I think with this picture finished, I'll continue to be successful.